FOCUS Learning Corporation is a small, private corporation founded in 1985. But our modest size is misleading compared to our stature and importance to the industries we serve.
We are the producers of an enterprise software system known as VISION. This program is the platform used by our corporate client community to design, develop, deploy and maintain enterprise training and performance support systems. VISION is essential to those organizations that do their work in “low risk – high consequence” environments such as nuclear power plants, commercial airlines, government (DOE) sites, and others both domestic and abroad. We are vital to these industries and deeply committed to their culture of safety and professionalism.
We develop periodic new releases to keep our modules current, and are about to begin development of new web-based modules to add important functionality to VISION. We are looking for a software developer to play a prominent role in development of these modules from inception to completion, while contributing to the ongoing enhancements and updates to the existing programs.
The right person will join a development team in a pleasant environment, working on exciting projects that will result in software that is highly impactful and necessary to high consequence organizations worldwide.
- Develops and maintains a variety of applications, databases and software systems by evaluating client needs; analyzing requirements.
- Assist staff to meet project commitments by planning delivery of solutions; answering technical and procedural questions for less experienced team members; teaching improved processes; mentoring team members.
- Identifies requirements by establishing rapport with potential and actual customers and with other persons in a position to understand service requirements.
- Arranges project requirements in programming sequence by analyzing requirements; preparing a work flow chart and diagram using knowledge of computer capabilities, subject matter, programming language, and logic.
- Develop the required programs according to requirements and design using appropriate programming language.
- Confirms program operation by conducting tests; modifying program sequence and/or codes.
- Maintains IT governance by writing and updating policies and procedures.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Protects operations by abiding by security policies and procedures.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills; a willingness and ability to listen, communicate clearly, and adapt to various personalities in such a way as to promote a climate of professionalism, diligence and respect among every member of the team.
- Ability to work well with people who represent a variety of skill sets, backgrounds and personalities. Gain and maintain sufficient respect to attract attention to your ideas while respecting those of others.
- Be highly organized in general, with a natural inclination to track items for follow-up, maintain vigilance to internal and external deadlines, rearrange priorities as needed and adapt to new versions of a plan.
- The ability to problem solve—contributing to a professional software solution when the development team encounters a problem.
- A work ethic that demonstrates a dedication towards your job and makes you an outstanding employee in any position by taking responsibility for quality, timeliness, attention to detail, results and seeking to complete tasks with little oversight.
- Contributes to team effort by spirit and attitude and information sharing.
Required technical skills:
- Experience in advice and implementation of software architecture
- General knowledge of SQL language to add, modify or delete information in an Oracle or MS-SQL database that supports an application
- Use of various Integrated Development Environments (IDEs)
- Knowledge of the software development life-cycle
- Ability to perform unit testing of code components or complete applications
- Writing computer programs for various purposes
- Analyzing needs and product requirements to create a design
- Write supporting code for Web applications or Web sites
- Design, build, or maintain Web sites, using authoring or scripting languages, and digital media
- Back up files from Web sites to local directories for instant recovery in case of problems
- Use a software repository system; SVN is used presently; knowledge of other systems desirable
- Evaluate code to ensure that it is valid, is properly structured, meets industry standards, and is compatible with browsers, devices, or operating systems
- Evaluate problems uncovered by testing or customer feedback, and correct problems or refer problems to appropriate personnel for correction
- Maintain understanding of current Web technologies or programming practices through continuing education, reading, or participation in professional conferences, workshops, or groups
- Respond to user email inquiries to assist in a customer support
- Develop software while keeping customer experience in mind
- Demonstrate user interface knowledge and skills when developing software to solve customer problems
Background and education:
- Bachelor’s degree or completed a full-stack developer program or equivalent experience in software development required;
- Experience working on a variety of software development languages and databases.