Please use the application on Bamboo HR to apply. Link here (copy and paste): https://visitslocal.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=55&source=aWQ9MTM%3D
Do not email your resume through SLOJobs.com.
Position Title: HR Manager
Company: Visit SLO CAL
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Functional Area: Operations
Reports To: President & CEO
Employment Type: Full-Time Regular, Exempt
Education Required: Bachelors Degree (Preferably in HR Management) or equivalent experience
Experience Required: 3+ Years
Salary Range: $50,000-65,000 annual salary plus benefits, DOE
Visit SLO CAL (VSC) is the non-profit countywide destination marketing and management organization (DMMO) for San Luis Obispo County. Its mission is to “Inspire travel and foster our unique experiences to create life-long ambassadors and economic growth for SLO CAL. Its goal is to promote San Luis Obispo County through marketing, advertising, public relations, group sales, promotions, events and sponsorship, branding the region as a choice destination for regional, national and international travelers alike. Visit SLO CAL works in partnership with tourism industry-related businesses including lodging properties, restaurants, wineries, breweries, activities, local community destination marketing organizations and the state tourism organization, Visit California, to create a unified marketing approach that promotes the culinary, coastal and cultural assets of the county. For more information, visit SLOCAL.com.
Are you a people person, with a passion for HR and team building?
Are you a natural teacher, striving to serve your fellow team members?
Can you effectively and proactively communicate with team members at all levels?
Are you detail oriented, and intent on following and enforcing rules and policies?
If you answered yes to these questions, you are a great candidate for the HR Manager position at Visit SLO CAL.
The HR Manager is an HR generalist role and is responsible for managing all HR responsibilities for the organization. Visit SLO CAL is looking for a qualified candidate with a strong California-specific HR background. Currently reporting to the President & CEO, the HR Manager is an integral member of the team.
The position functions as the HR liaison for the office, working to develop and advance our organizational culture. Ensuring team members feel supported in an inclusive and equitable work environment while training to and monitoring compliance are important responsibilities of the role. To ensure success, the HR Manager should display remarkable leadership, conflict management and decision-making skills with a solid understanding of employee relationships, staffing management, policy and payroll and benefits administration. The HR Manager will be superb at problem-solving, efficient in scheduling, and precise in the recruitment process, and have a broad knowledge of Human Resources and California HR requirements. The HR Manager must be able to work autonomously and efficiently to ensure the end-to-end running of HR projects with guidance from President & CEO. The ability, desire and follow-through seen with taking ownership, driving initiatives and proactively communicating are essential to this role.
- Assist in the execution of Strategic Direction 2023 initiatives, including assistance with recruitment strategies, culture-building initiatives, and retention strategies
- Facilitate regular meetings with all departments to ensure Strategic Direction 2023 operational plan initiatives are delivered on-time, on-scope and on-budget
- Assist in the development of Visit SLO CAL’s organizational culture
- Oversee and assist in facilitation of Visit SLO CAL’s team outings including advanced planning, scheduling and communicating
- Oversee, encourage and advance delivery of Visit SLO CAL’s Shared Accountability Program, including assisting the Vice President of Finance and the President & CEO in calculating staff bonuses for the team
- Manage pro-active recruitment efforts, including the posting of open positions and sourcing of candidates on key recruitment channels, screening, assisting with the scheduling of interviews, processing background and credit checks, administering personality assessments (Enneagram and Birkman), maintaining candidate records on Bamboo HR platform, and ensuring that hiring managers provide timely responses to all candidates
- Manage, optimize and facilitate on-boarding process, including development of schedule, conducting training, coordination, ordering of supplies (computer, business cards, etc.), completion of on-boarding documents and learning
- Assist in the development and advancement of Visit SLO CAL’s Equity, Diversity and Inclusion efforts including completion of EDI training for new team members
- Oversee and participate in the training and development of team members, including sourcing and implementation of new programs and systems
- Assist with staff-wide development of organizational, departmental and team member Objectives & Key Results (OKRs)
- Facilitate the Annual Performance Review process, including self-reveiws, manager-reviews, OKRs and monitoring and facilitating progress in the Performance Management Module
- Develop and facilitate surveys throughout the year to gain insight and feedback
- Oversee, manage to and ensure effectiveness of Visit SLO CAL’s continuous learning program
- Faciliate the annual update to key documents including Employee Handbook and Travel & Expense Policy
- Assist and partner on the training, management, standardization, adoption and effectiveness of existing and new technologies, including Bamboo HR, Asana, etc.
- Manage employee off-boarding process
- Assist with the processing of payroll through TRAX
- Maintain employee payroll files, payroll records and benefit information through the online Bamboo HR portal
- Coordinate enrollment and annual renewal of employee benefits, as outlined in the employee handbook, including management of the Visit SLO CAL 401k program and account
- Survey interviewed candidates about their experience and report out quarterly to the President & CEO
- Ensure the organization is compliant with existing state and federal employment laws and regulations
- Oversee all state-mandated trainings (e.g. Harassment Prevention Training) and any suggested relevant CalOSHA trainings
- Develop, train to, enforce and ensure compliance with office policies and procedures, and standards of conduct
- Address employee issues and maintain employee relations, in line with labor law and HR best practices
- Respond to internal and external HR-related inquiries or requests and provide assistance
- Enforce standardized organization-wide record-keeping practices throughout the employee life cycle, in line with state and federal regulations
- Review employee benefit options annually, making educated recommendations on changes from year to year
- Other HR duties and projects as requested
- 3+ years of experience in managing HR in the State of California
- Exposure to California Labor Law and employment equity regulations
- Experience with payroll and payroll tax filings
- Understanding of HR industry standards and best practices
- Full understanding of HR functions and best practices
- Strong, pro-active communication skills (oral and written), including editing and proofreading, and exceptional presentation skills
- Technical proficiency with Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat
- Non-profit experience preferred
- Strong conflict management skills and high emotional intelligence
- Experience with an HRIS system (Visit SLO CAL uses Bamboo HR)
- Detail-oriented, methodical and extremely organized work style, coupled with the ability to see the big picture
- Ability to hold strict confidentiality
- Talent for tracking, multi-tasking and the ability to pivot quickly in a rapidly-changing environment
- Problem solving skills and ability to propose and direct successful solutions
- Ability to work autonomously, yet collaborate with others as needed
- Strong drive and a tendency to thrive in a very fast-paced, ambitious environment
- Professional, adventurous, positive and confident attitude
- Empathetic, but prioritizes the best interests of the organization
Visit SLO CAL, an equal opportunity employer, has an organizational commitment to the principles of diversity and inclusion. In that spirit, we welcome all qualified individuals without regard to race, religion, color, sex, ancestry, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, national origin, medical condition, U.S. veteran/military status, pregnancy or reasonable accommodation.
Visit SLO CAL offers an exciting opportunity for qualified, career-motivated professionals, and provides competitive compensation, as well as the chance to work with talented people in a successful, fast-paced and pleasant environment.