The Catering Service Supervisor is responsible for planning, organizing, directing, and leading the service of all catered functions for the catering department. This position must demonstrate knowledge and highly professional standards in areas such as: event design, room set-up and service, customer service, quality control, sanitation, food presentation, supervision, and training of service personnel. The Catering Supervisor is also responsible for assisting the Catering Manager in providing effective oversight of the day-to-day operation including staff supervision, event management, customer satisfaction, and brand image.
· In coordination with the Catering Sales Office and Catering Sous Chef, assist in planning, service arrangements, food production, transportation, and cleanup for all catered events, including full-service, take-out, and deliveries
· Recruit, train, schedule, supervise, and evaluate all catering service personnel to ensure consistent professional catered event service
· Oversee staff execution of dining service and room set-up as specified by the client with a critical eye on the customer experience
· Convey a favorable image of the department and Campus Dining to the customer by demonstrating a high degree of professionalism, technical skills, and customer relations
· Communicate with other Campus Dining departments to ensure coordination and good working relationshipsPositions are 10-month appointments, with summers and academic breaks off unless work is available.
· High school degree or equivalent
· Minimum of four (4) years’ experience in restaurant service with at least two (2) years of high volume catering experience and at least two (2) years in a supervisory role.
· Ability to drive a truck with automatic or manual transmission
· Ability to work a diverse schedule that changes weekly (weekends, holidays, early mornings and late evenings)
· Ability to operate various kitchen equipment including high volume coffee brewing machines
· Wide knowledge of the principles techniques and procedures of service provided at catered events
· Experience in organizing, planning, and providing catering service for groups as large as 1,000 persons
· Ability to perform complex, highly responsible and confidential duties
· Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Word and Excel
· Ability to prioritize, plan, organize, and meet time lines
· Ability to lead others in managing tasks; train and evaluate the performance of assigned personnel
· Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationship with others
· Excellent verbal and written skills and the ability to interface with all levels of staff, Board of Directors, university community, including students, faculty and staff, and the public.
· Interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy
· Ability to maintain regular and reliable attendance
· Possession of a valid California Driver’s License and satisfactory driving record
· Skill in coordinating and scheduling catering service for a number of events held simultaneously
· Skill in coordinating service for catering events on short notice
· Become Servsafe certified within first year of service and maintain certification as required
· Ability to understand and anticipate customer needs in providing professional service at catered events
· Ability to work varied hours and day schedules in coordination with catered event needs
· A background check is required for all regular benefited positions
· The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment
Event planning is preferred
Background in college or university food service preferred
Those interested in this position must submit an application through our employment page to be considered. https://www.calpolycorporationjobs.org/postings/search
Salary Range: $19.00-$19.50 per hour
Cal Poly Corporation provides excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, retirement, paid sick leave/vacation and holidays. Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background check, educational and employment verification, and reference check, as required. This position is benefit eligible.
Positions are 10-month appointments, with summers and academic breaks off unless work is available.
The California State University system (CSU) requires that students, faculty, and any employees of organizations who access campus, or any CSU facilities, to be either fully vaccinated or qualify for a medical or religious exemption. Please note if you are chosen for a position with the Cal Poly Corporation you will be asked to fill out a Vaccine Attestation once you are hired. This attestation will ask if you are vaccinated or asking for a medical or religious exemption. If not vaccinated and asking for an exemption you will be required to be tested for COVID-19 one (1) time per week at a testing site on campus.
To view more information about Cal Poly Campus Dining’s operations and venue information, please visit this link. https://www.calpolydining.com/
AA/EEO/Disability/Protected Veteran Employer
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.